Troubador Publishing is looking for a Production Controller to join a busy book production department, producing beautiful books in all genres. The role is focused on you controlling your own list of titles from the point they are handed to you by the customer services team all the way through their printed book. This will include liaising with other team members to ensure edits, typesets and cover designs are produced on time and to schedule. You’ll be the main point of contact for your own list of authors and a critical team member for the production department.
Reporting to the Production Manager and with support from the Assistant Production Manager, you’ll be given responsibility early on as part of this role. You will quickly be speaking with authors directly over the phone and email as well as in person, all the while making sure that their publishing journey is as fulfilling as possible.
Key responsibilities for this role will include:
- Being responsible for each individual author and project assigned to you, from the point of contract receipt, right through to the book's official publication date.
- Project managing the production of a large range and volume of books, from manuscript to delivery of the final product.
- Liaising with both internal and external stakeholders to ensure that all elements of the production of the book come together on time and to the appropriate quality.
- Handling the scheduling of all book deliveries from the printers, whether this is to the Troubador warehouse or authors, and communicating with those printers to ensure the smooth running of this process.
- Being the main point of contact for an author throughout the production process of their book.
Key requirements for this role are:
- We are looking for someone who can thrive in a fast-paced work environment and has the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- The successful candidate will be able to offer excellent customer service.
- An eye for detail and a good level of grammar and spelling
- Excellent organisation skills
- Excellent tech skills
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to explain complex or technical processes or topics to authors effectively
- Ability to multitask - you’ll have a lot of books in production at the same time
- Ability to work well within a team, and comfortable asking for help
Nice to haves
Some things that it would be nice for candidates to have but are not essential are:
- Adobe InDesign experience is a plus
- Ability to use Apple Mac computers
- Experience with the book production process
- Experience working directly with customers or clients
Working location: On-site at our Market Harborough HQ