- Serious Self-Publishing
- How to Publish
- The Cost
- Information Centre
- Out and About with Matador
Marketing Your Book
We are pleased to offer a wide range of book and ebook marketing services to Matador authors. If you decide to sign up for our Book Trade and/or Media/Public Relations Marketing, our Marketing Department will work with you on a one-to-one basis to market your book to the retail trade and publicise it to the media. Matador offers in-house trade marketing and media and PR services for books and ebooks, based on many years of active marketing knowledge and experience. We also offer further marketing services through our industry partners at discounted rates.
Marketing your book or ebook is probably the hardest part of successfully publishing a book. We will be realistic about the chances of your book reaching a wider market before we agree to undertake marketing. We (or anyone else) can’t guarantee sales of your book, and make no promises for the number of copies that will sell as a result of marketing activities, but by the same measure, without any marketing at all – either by you or us – sales of your book will be minimal through the book trade.
Marketing a book and marketing an ebook are very different activities, with the target audiences for each format in different locations. We thus offer separate ebook and book marketing services to enable authors to choose exactly what they want. We offer the following services:
- Book Trade Marketing
- Sales Representation
- Media Marketing
- Ebook Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Supplementary Marketing Services
Note that all services are quoted exclusive of VAT, which is applicable to UK residents at the standard rate.
Marketing your book to the retail trade is the cornerstone of getting your book sold more widely than just to your family and friends. Without retail trade marketing, your book will still be listed by retailers as it carries an ISBN number, but no retailer will stock it or buy copies unless a customer specifically places an order.
Our Book Trade Marketing is designed to get your book in front of those people in the retail trade who make the buying decisions. Matador has been working with retailers, wholesalers and library suppliers for over 18 years, and most of our book sales are made through high street and online retailers, and via library suppliers and wholesalers.
Matador offers authors a full retail trade distribution through Orca Books. Our distribution service is offered as part of our Book Trade Marketing.
Our Book Trade Marketing service includes the following specific services:
- The production of a book trade Advanced Information (AI) sheet – for both local bookshops and national book buyers. The AI is sent to wholesalers, library suppliers, relevant chain store book buyers and specialist outlets, as well as local and online bookshops. We’ll create bespoke lists drawn from our extensive databases, but also work closely with you to create the best targeted coverage possible.
- Full retail trade distribution through our distributor Orca Book Services (for authors printing over 100 copies of their book), providing trade order handling and fulfilment, or distribution via Print On Demand (POD) for authors opting for this method of distribution.
- Full bibliographic data management of your title, which includes initial supply and ongoing updating of your book’s bibliographic data using the industry standard data dissemination system Onix, through which we supply your data to Nielsen, Bowker, BDS and Gardners. (This is not available if you publish under your own imprint.)
- Making your book available through numerous online bookstores, including Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones and WHSmith, via our distributor Orca Book Services. In addition, your book will become available through any bookshop in the UK, either from stock or to order.
- Support and advice on all aspects of books marketing, sales and distribution with Matador’s marketing team, followed by continuing support on all aspects of books marketing from the Marketing Department.
- Access to a comprehensive marketing section on our web pages, available only to Matador authors. These pages are crammed full of ideas and suggestions that you can carry out if you wish for the marketing and promotion of your book. It also includes a series of factsheets on many aspects of the marketing process. These pages are constantly being updated.
- 20 copies of your AI sheet to use when visiting bookshops.
- Inclusion on Google Search Inside and Amazon Look Inside programmes (optional). Inclusion in one or both of these programmes allows people to view selected pages in your book online, hopefully persuading them to buy it.
- Matador has a comprehensive opt-in email database that we use to promote Matador books direct to our customers. Our book sales e-newsletters drive traffic to our webshop.
- A unique entry for your book on Matador’s online webshop. This includes the ability for you to add certain information to the webpage about yourself and your book, and for readers to submit a review of your book. Media coverage will also be placed on the book’s webpage. Our webshop enables anyone to order your book using a credit card or PayPal and have it delivered anywhere in the world.
- Author access to online sales information 24/7, where you can view your sales at any time.
- A quarterly detailed sales report showing sales, discounts, stock figures and accompanying royalty payments.
For authors wishing to give their book the best possible chance of selling through high street retailers, we offer full trade sales representation through Star Book Sales. Star have a team of 11 regional sales representatives who actively hand-sell new titles into retailers’ head offices, local stores and other book retail outlets in the run up to a book’s publication date.
To qualify for sales representation, authors must print 300 copies or greater so that there are enough copies to place on retailers’ shelves.
Our sales representation service includes all of the administrative work involved in setting up a title to be represented by Star Book Sales, and includes a range of other benefits designed to maximise the efficacy of the sales representation:
- Title set-up with Star Book Sales; book trade sales representation through Star in the run-up to publication
- Fast-track preparation of the Advance Information (AI) sheet; this is disseminated to the regional sales reps well in advance of publication, along with any ongoing information that will maximise their efforts (eg. media coverage, reviews)
- Fast-track front cover design (required to maximise the time in which a book can be represented by the sales reps) (subject to technical aspects)
- Inclusion in the biannual Troubador ‘New Titles’ catalogue (half-page entry). We distribute thousands of copies of our catalogue to national and local retailers and book buyers. (The half page entry can be upgraded to a full page for a nominal fee of £25+VAT )
- Display on Matador’s exhibitor stand at April’s London Book Fair
Full details on Star Book Sales and sales representation are available on our Factsheet.
Our media/public relations marketing service is for authors who aim to give their book a cost-effective media profile, and is run in-house by Matador’s marketing team. It concentrates on seeking to achieve media coverage for you and your book.
Our media services are only available to authors taking our Book Trade Marketing service, as without effective trade marketing, media and PR work is pointless. While we target selected national media as appropriate for your book, we do not undertake national TV and radio marketing (this is included in the Enhanced Media Outreach Service).
Our Media Marketing service specifically includes:
- Preparation and distribution of a local Press Release (PR). Working with you, we create a local PR that specifically targets your local area (or a geographical area relevant to the book). Using our extensive in-house media contact databases, we create a bespoke list of print and broadcast media recipients for the press release.
- Preparation and distribution of a specialist or national PR. This is sent to selected specialist or national media, as relevant, with a view to getting coverage for you or the subject of your book.
- Sending review copies to selected media. Together we identify those media that are most likely to review your book, and send a copy of it with a press release inviting them to review it.
- Liaising with media requests for further information, interviews, serialisation or extract publication, photos or review copies.
- 20 copies of each of your PR for use by you in your own promotional work.
- Ongoing update of your book entry on our website with media clippings, endorsements or reviews.
- Inclusion in Matador’s Twitter and Facebook accounts to 'Tweet' and 'Post' about your book and any media coverage or key events.
- Ongoing help and support from the in-house marketing team to assist you with your own marketing efforts.
For authors whose book has a wide national appeal, or who wish to carry out a more comprehensive/prominent media campaign, our Enhanced Media Outreach service is designed to capture the attention of print, radio and TV journalists across the country. Using Vuelio, a PR service used by publishers including Random House, Taylor & Francis and Emerald Group, we can directly contact up to 60,000 journalists, working in subject-specific areas of the industry, to tell them about you and your book.
When we distribute press releases via Vuelio, we frequently get instant responses from the journalists who wish to find out more information – which often leads to major media coverage. Using Vuelio, we have had coverage in the major daily papers, including The Daily Mail, The Daily Telegraph, The Times, The Daily Express, The Sun, The Guardian and The Independent, as well as prominent regional publications like The Irish Post, South London Press and Absolutely Media, plus in subject-specific publications like Travel Guide London, Footy Boots and Parents Net.
This service is designed to increase the number and depth of media responses that you will receive. It is most effective carried out in advance of your book’s publication; we start Enhanced Media Outreach before your book has been sent to print, in order to give us more of a lead-in time to work with key print, broadcast and online media.
The Enhanced Media Outreach service includes everything in the Starter Media Marketing Service, plus:
- A targeted six-week marketing campaign
- A meeting at our offices in Leicestershire, or over the phone, to identify different marketing angles for your book
- We conduct media outreach through Vuelio, one of the UK’s leading PR services, which allows us to contact journalists across every media sector. Your press release will be published to our newsroom, which can be accessed by 60,000 journalists, and we prepare and send at least two targeted outreaches (both by subject and by local interest/area). Each outreach can comprise up 100-500 contacts, dependent on subject area
- We conduct email or phone follow-ups with all journalists who express an interest in your book (either by requesting a review copy, more information or an interview with the author). We make further targeted follow-up pitches to a list of key journalists, agreed upon in advance (and provide the key list of journalists contacted for your information)
- We contact bookshops and libraries within your local area (or in an area relevant to the book that you would be willing to travel to) to see if we can set up a signing or event to promote your book
- We provide a comprehensive media report of all of the media coverage that we have managed to achieve.
At Matador we offer ebook marketing services designed to give your ebook the best chance of being seen by journalists, bloggers and reviewers worldwide. Our ebook marketing services are ideal for authors who want a comprehensive, cost-effective media campaign that they can tie in with their own marketing work.
We offer two tiers of ebook marketing services, designed to suit a different budgets and goals. Both of them include an entry on NetGalley, the leading ebook media review service – where ebooks have a chance of being seen by members of the media, bloggers, reviewers and retailers worldwide. Having an ebook on NetGalley gives it equal footing with those from the main commercial publishers like Random House, Penguin and HarperCollins, where over 300,000 opted-in members worldwide can browse for ebooks by subject, publisher or keyword, and then request a review copy. This often leads to media coverage, reviews and book sales. We then amplify any media coverage using our social media channels to ensure that it's reaching as wide an audience as possible.
Ebook marketing needs to be undertaken after your ebook is released for sale, so our marketing services are designed to work around the release of an ebook to retailers by our in-house production team, over a period of around six weeks or so. Our marketing department works with an author on a one-to-one basis to maximise the impact of marketing activities on an ebook’s marketing campaign. We will also directly follow up with each NetGalley member after publication of your ebook has passed, as following up can often result in further reviews and coverage.
- An expertly prepared ebook listing on NetGalley.com, the leading ebook review site for librarians, publishers, reviewers and bloggers (the listing will be live for three weeks).
- We pass on any reviews that are sent to us as a result of the listing.
- We follow up with everyone else who downloaded a copy of your ebook and encourage them to leave a review.
- Ongoing help and advice from a dedicated ebook marketing professional during your campaign.
- An extensive online booklet looking at things you can do yourself to promote your ebook – alongside our marketing effort
All of the above in the Starter Ebook Marketing service, plus:
- An extra week on NetGalley (four weeks in total)
- A NetGalley ‘widget’ that allows journalists and other contacts to download your ebook directly – a great way to send protected review copies.
- Mentions of your ebook, and any ebook news, through our social media channels (Twitter and Facebook).
- The creation of two promotional graphics for use on social media or in your own advertising efforts. These will also be displayed on our stand at the London Book Fair.
- A paid ebook advert on Amazon or Goodreads* to the value of $100, which we will coordinate on your behalf. (*We can only create a Goodreads advert if we have created your Goodreads account through our Social Media Marketing Service.)
The use of social media to promote books and ebooks has become an industry-standard means of reaching a diverse yet closely-targeted audience. For many people, however, social media like Twitter and Facebook remain something of a mystery. For this reason, we have introduced a separate social media marketing service, designed to establish an author presence online, that enable authors to promote their work using various social media.
We focus mainly on Facebook and Twitter, the leading social media sites; these are also the most author-friendly, and are proven in increasing discoverability of authors and books. It can take years to build an author brand, but this campaign will kick-start your knowledge and use of the social media sphere. It is especially suitable for those who struggle to find their way around the internet or learn how to use new websites. This service, along with our invaluable social media handbook, will have you tweeting and posting in no time!
We create professsional-standard social media accounts on your behalf and start building your author brand, while gently introducing you into the world of social media. This campaign will give you a period of dedicated social media support from our experienced marketing team. Our aim is to fully involve you in using the accounts we set up for you, so that by the time the campaign has ended you will be confident with using them yourself.
- Creation of a branded, author-specific Facebook page.
- Creation of a branded, author-specific Twitter account.
- Setting up an author profile and book page for you on Goodreads, the most popular book recommendation website.
- Creation of an author-specific Gmail email address (which we use to register your Twitter and Facebook accounts, and then pass over to you for personal use).
- A three-week comprehensive social media campaign that starts when your book or ebook is available.
- One week of daily tweets and two subsequent weeks of ongoing support, and tweeting/posting from author submissions.
- When the campaign has been concluded, all social media accounts established are handed to you so that you can continue to use them.
- A handbook showing how to use your social media accounts, and how to be creative with your ‘posts’, so that you can take over posting and continue to build your online author brand.
We offer all our authors – whether or not they are taking any of our marketing services above – a wide range of supplementary marketing services. All are designed to raise the profile of your book or ebook, and many can be used by you directly to promote your work to retailers and readers.
All our Supplementary Marketing Services are detailed in our flip-book, and include:
- A wide range of printed promotional materials, including pop-up banners, posters, bookmarks, business cards, leaflets and postcards.
- A video Book Trailer with which to promote your work on websites and social media.
- • Discounted promotional opportunities with the likes of BookBag, NetGalley, The Bookseller and 'Highlights’ magazine.